GAMMAGARD LIQUID IV Side Effects
Side effects may occur with IV Ig treatment, and they are more likely to occur when you are getting treatment for the first time or receiving a new product.1,2
The most common side effects* with IV infusions of GAMMAGARD LIQUID treatment, observed in ≥5% of the study subjects in the clinical trial, are shown below.
Most Common Side Effects2
- chills/shaking chills
- pain in hands or feet
- sore throat
- joint pain
- muscle pain
- swelling in the arms or legs
- heart murmur
GAMMAGARD LIQUID can cause serious side effects. If any of the following problems occur after starting GAMMAGARD LIQUID, stop the infusion immediately and contact your healthcare provider or call emergency services:
- Hives, swelling in the mouth or throat, itching, trouble breathing, wheezing, fainting or dizziness. These could be signs of a serious allergic reaction.
- Bad headache with nausea, vomiting, stiff neck, fever, and sensitivity to light. These could be signs of irritation and swelling of the lining around your brain.
- Reduced urination, sudden weight gain, or swelling in your legs. These could be signs of a kidney problem.
- Pain, swelling, warmth, redness, or a lump in your legs or arms. These could be signs of a blood clot.
- Brown or red urine, fast heart rate, yellow skin or eyes. These could be signs of a liver or blood problem.
- Chest pain or trouble breathing, or blue lips or extremities. These could be signs of a serious heart or lung problem.
- Fever over 100°F. This could be a sign of an infection.
It's important to talk to your healthcare provider about what to expect with intravenous administration of GAMMAGARD LIQUID treatment. Your doctor, nurse, or other healthcare professional can help you prepare for treatment and tell you what can be done to manage possible side effects. Also, resources and support are available to help you understand your treatment.
References: 1. Younger MEM, ed. IDF Guide for Nurses: Immunoglobulin Therapy for Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases. 4th ed. Towson, MD: Immune Deficiency Foundation; 2016. 2. GAMMAGARD LIQUID [Immune Globulin Infusion (Human)] 10% [Prescribing Information]. Westlake Village, CA: Baxalta US Inc.
MyIgSource is a patient support program for all PI patients and caregivers throughout your journey. Sign up to get access to experienced Patient and Nurse Advocates, get information about insurance and financial support, useful tools, and more.
Ask an Advocate
Questions about PI or PI treatments? Our trained Patient and Nurse Advocates can help, and asking your question is easy with our Ask An Advocate feature.
Start Getting Answers